ITSecurity.Org Ltd can provide the following Security Strategy services:
- Initial risk assessment and ‘Critical Friend’ role looking at the entirety of the organisational risk / security strategy or any component part
- Help to define the organisational risk and security objectives, aims and goals
- Conduct a gap assessment to identify gaps between your current state and desired state
- Perform risk assessment to recognize risk to your organization and what damage they can cause
- Identify your organization strengths and weakness by conducting a SWOT analysis. A SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) analysis helps develop practical strategy that is suited for the specific organization
- Develop a project plan to implement and monitor the progress of the risk and security strategy
- Continuously monitor/ evaluate strategy against the business direction
Results driven information security programs are governed by well-thought strategies. A successful strategy is basically a path that is followed by an organization to achieve its objectives. After setting out information security objectives, defining security strategy is the most important step. Simpler and clear goals help develop practical strategies that ease the journey towards business objectives. Effective security strategies deliver security programs that are practical and defend the interests of organizations in long terms. A well-planned security strategy delivers:
- Lower costs
- Legal compliance e.g. GDPR, Data Protection Act 1998 / 2018
- Assurance and improved business confidence
- Standards compliance e.g. ISO27001
- Effective controls
- Mitigation of risks
- Protection of assets
- Business enabling security
Benjamin Franklin once said, “If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.” Most of the ambitious security goals and objectives remain unachieved because of poor planning. A successful and well-planned security strategy has the following properties:
- Aligned with business objectives
- Reflect senior management commitment
- In line with organization culture
- Supported by people, process and technology
- Is established on a principles and standards based and risk-based approach
There are various strategies that are followed by organizations to achieve their business objectives. Broadly, the following steps apply to develop a practical security strategy for any organization.
- Understand the context, purpose and vision of the organization.
- Determine your organization’s security goals and objectives.
- Conduct gap assessment to identify gaps between your current state and desired state.
- Perform risk assessment to recognize risk to your organization and what damage they can cause.
- Identify your organization strengths and weakness by conducting a SWOT analysis. A SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) analysis helps develop practical strategy that is suited for the specific organization.
- Develop a project plan regarding implementation of strategy.
- Continuously monitor/ evaluate strategy against the business direction.
Should you need assistance regarding your organization security strategy and planning, contact ITSecurity.Org. You can benefit from our years of experience in protecting organizations of all sizes and industries.